Featured Post

Hacking Health in Hamilton Ontario - Let's hear that pitch!

What compelled me to register for a weekend Health Hackathon? Anyway, I could soon be up to my ears in it. A pubmed search on Health Hack...

Monday, May 7, 2012

Paramedic ehealth - bringing out the dead?

I started watching a movie on TVO called "Bringing Out the Dead".  Nicholas Cage was playing the role of a burnt out paramedic in the Hells Kitchen area of New York city - a really run down, high crime area of the city.  Looked like a great movie but I never had time to watch it all so I went online to my public library to place a hold on the DVD.  Turns out they didn't have the DVD, but they did have the book, written by Joe Connelly.  So now I am reading the book and it turns out that Joe Connelly was a paramedic for 10 years in New York, and is writing from front line experience. I have heard that the work of paramedics is an area that is in need of ehealth technologies. I know several researchers personally from my ehealth studies who work in this area. One is studying the messaging systems from the ambulances to the hospitals.  The other developed a mobile app that will allow anyone to locate the nearest public Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs) . This latter study is more like public health but it was developed by a former paramedic. < Here > is a link to the paper on it.

1 comment:

  1. http://geekdoctor.blogspot.ca/2012/05/cool-technology-of-week_18.html

    John Halamka's Healthcare IT is working with Safetypad to present patient data from EMS services to the ER healthrecord. This API works in almost real time. Quite a feat, based on XML, RESTful, GET and POST.

    ReplyDelete