Featured Post

Hacking Health in Hamilton Ontario - Let's hear that pitch!

What compelled me to register for a weekend Health Hackathon? Anyway, I could soon be up to my ears in it. A pubmed search on Health Hack...

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ayub Ogada - Kothbiro

There are some pieces of music Oliver Sacks refers to, in his book musicophilia as "ear worms" - it plays over and over again in the mind. One such recent piece had me thinking about where I had heard it before as it appears in unlikely places, CBC radio often, and once during a National Geographic documentary about finding ancient Bon writings in caves in Mustang Nepal. I searched to try to find the piece, knowing only that it was African, slow, and invoked a very sad feeling and landscape. Finally, it occurred to me it might have been in the soundtrack for the Constant Gardener, and indeed it was. The composer, Ayub Ogada, is also from Kenya, so perhaps the music invokes those same landscapes seen in the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment