Featured Post

Hacking Health in Hamilton Ontario - Let's hear that pitch!

What compelled me to register for a weekend Health Hackathon? Anyway, I could soon be up to my ears in it. A pubmed search on Health Hack...

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Now that's getting personal: how small data is the new oil

I am not sure what to make of the personal.com company and application. There is a health information component, making it relevant to this blog. I am not sure I am so hyper concerned about personal information that I would use the personal login to access my facebook account. I suppose I am more of an exponent of open data, and even big data for that matter. Don't get me wrong. I understand the need for privacy and security of data. But "small data is the new oil"? They really might have something here:


Small data puts the power and tools of big data into the hands of people. It is based on the assumption that people have a significant long-term competitive advantage over companies and governments at aggregating and curating the best and most complete set of structured, machine-readable data about themselves and their lives – the “golden copy”. With proper tools, protections and incentives, small data allows each person to become the ultimate gatekeeper and beneficiary of their own data.
Built on privacy by design and security by design principles, small data can help people become smarter, healthier, and make better, faster decisions. It can help people discover new experiences more easily, reclaim time in their busy lives, and enjoy deeper, more positive relationships with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment