Featured Post

Hacking Health in Hamilton Ontario - Let's hear that pitch!

What compelled me to register for a weekend Health Hackathon? Anyway, I could soon be up to my ears in it. A pubmed search on Health Hack...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Playing video games 'improves eyesight'

I know the researcher in this study quite well. I wanted to sign up for one of the video game studies on amblyopia (lazy eye) because I have lazy eye, and I would get a free X-Box. I am not a gamer, but if I had the technology, I know I would become addicted to it. Now that scientist like Dr. Maurer suggest in this research, that playing video games is therapeutic for eyesight, I don't see why I don't invest in a gaming system. There is a caveat here, and that is not to believe everything you read in headlines, or anything you might happen to find on the internet. Going to the scientific article to study the findings is the best idea. Since hearing about Dr. Maurer's research, I have become hopeful that newer and better forms of vision therapy can be developed. I have read and tried the eye improvement exercises in the Bates Method and the book by Aldous Huxley called "The Art of Seeing". The cognitive basis of vision is so clear in these books and this research. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9088262/Playing-video-games-improves-eyesight.html

1 comment:

  1. There is perhaps a growing interest in vision therapy. Found this website, recommended by a physician in an online question and answer site called Avvo, on amblyopia. Revitalvision uses Gabor patch computer based at home training sessions, with directions from a physician. If I want to lose my reading glasses, sounds like a good possibility:
    http://www.revitalvision.com/Reviews/

    ReplyDelete